directly in this apostolate It was also the first site of Mount Saint Joseph Academy. Not turning away from the dirtiest and most menial work, they earned the respect of both Union and Confederate soldiers. In 1977, three sisters formed a community in a parish house close to St John’s Church, East Melbourne, where the sisters were involved in parish ministry, education and nursing. They were not wealthy or educated and worked to support themselves especially by making lace, a common trade in that region of France. Our founders envisioned the sisters bonding with others who were spiritual companions and coworkers while they continued in their own lifestyle as married, widowed or single persons. Maxims of Perfection The Maxims that appear on our website are addressed to laypersons and religious who seek a closer union with God. She said: “Hundreds of wounded men were carried out to us in rowboats. 1847 – Philadelphia & Mother Saint John Fournier, Saint John Neumann Society Reoccurring Donors. By the time of the French Revolution, it had spread through south central France in the region of the Valey. Through our many ministries, including education, social services and parish ministries, “We live and work so that all people may be united with God and with one another.” Today there are approximately 690 members in the Congregation. Today, Matt … The Sisters of St. Joseph were selected to run it and Mother Agnes was praying for guidance on who to send when Sister Alice Rose Conway walked in. The community grew. Some sisters were imprisoned; five were guillotined. Then, caught in the political turmoil of the times, the congregation was disbanded. A new sense of mission flourished within the community and soon, word of the sisters' good works spread throughout Europe and eventually to America. After the revolution had ended, a heroic woman, Jeanne Fontbonne, who had narrowly escaped the guillotine herself, refounded the Sisters of St. Joseph at Lyon, France. (Le dépassement, le plus) Inspired by the Holy Spirit, he founded the Sisters of Saint Joseph in 1650 in LePuy, France. In renewed fidelity to our initial inspiration, our sisters, associates, and lay partners strive to deepen our commitment to our common mission: We live and work so that all people may be united with God and with one another. We trace our origins and spirit to six women, who came together in 1650, in war-ravaged LePuy, France, with great desire for union with God, among themselves and with “every sort of neighbor.” Encouraged and aided by Jesuit Jean-Pierre Médaille, they were among the first to create religious life for women outside the cloister. tempered by gentleness (douceur) , peace, joy, tempered by gentleness (douceur) , peace, joy, Examining the Economy of Single Use Plastic as Season of Creation Concludes. The remodeled residence opened as the 10-bed Atlanta Hospital on April 21, 1880. The institute was founded by Mary MacKillop and Father Julian Tenison Woods to provide an elementary education for the children of poor Catholics in rural areas. The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph is a religious community of nearly 500 vowed Catholic women and over 500 lay associates who live and minister in the U.S. and around the world. Check out the archives here. In 1833, a Sisters of Saint Joseph community was founded in Annecy. Stimulated by the Holy Spirit of Love and receptive to His inspirations the Sisters of St. Joseph moves always towards profound love of God and love of neighbor without distinction, from whom she does not separate herself and On October 7, 1851, four Sisters of St. Joseph came to Toronto from Philadelphia to care for children, left as orphans as a result of an epidemic of typhus. In response to the needs of the Church in the Missouri mission, Mother Saint John Fontbonne sent six sisters to St. Louis. The opening of St. Joseph Hospital ushered in more than a century of Catholic health care ministry in the Pacific Northwest by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace and their lay colleagues. In 1997 the community transferred to East Brunswick. The new Congregation grew and developed, and in 1949 established its first mission in India. The St. Joseph’s College community today is recognizing the 370th anniversary of the founding of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph.. Julian Tenison Woods. With little training, but the discipline of religious life, they nursed the wounded, the sick and worked as cooks and ward managers at Church Hospital in Harrisburg, PA, at Camp Curtin outside Harrisburg, and on two floating hospitals, the Whilden and the Commodore. This same spirit energizes our community today, 135 years later, and carries us into the future. Father Médaille asked them to follow his spiritual maxims. Father Julian Tenison Woods inspired the Sisters of Saint Joseph, Perthville, and guided the newly emerging Institute under the direction of Bishop Quinn, bishop of Bathurst. Before long, the sisters were numerous again. from whom, in the following of Christ The Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart, often called the "Josephites" or "Brown Joeys", were founded in Penola, South Australia, in 1866 by Mary MacKillop and the Rev. As the Congregation moves into the future, we see our neighbors’ need for all the spiritual and corporal works of mercy and love, and as we are able, we undertake with great generosity and love whatever may best bring about the union of all with God. Sister Mary Anselm Jennings was aboard the night Yorktown was taken. The sisters relocated to Abbotsford with the re-opening of the Formation House, and then to Glen Iris. Mother Clare (after she founded the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace). To protect their spirit of littleness, hiddenness and self-emptying love, he “secretly” met with these women in groups of three to six. She would serve as St. Joseph’s Hospital administrator until her death in 1939. The Federation of the Sisters of Saint Joseph is a union of all the Sisters of Saint Joseph of the United States who claim a common origin in the foundation at LePuy, France in 1650. by Anne-Marie Javouhey who consecrated herself to God on November 11th, 1798 during a clandestine Mass which had to be celebrated in a barn in Chamblanc. Referred to as “The Little Design” and “The Congregation of the great love of God” the women were asked to divide the city, find the needs of the day and address them. Fourteen of our sisters were officially recognized for their service as nurses. Mother Francis Clare had founded the order in England in 1884. Under the patronage of Saint Joseph, they dedicated themselves to “the practice of all spiritual and corporal works of mercy of which woman is capable and which will most benefit the dear neighbor.”. We nursed the wounded on both sides of the conflict during the Civil War. The first Sisters of St. Joseph came from Lyon to America in 1836 in response to a request from Bishop Joseph Rosati for a small group of religious to open a school for the deaf in St. Louis. The hospital ships traveled up and down the James River, providing care for the wounded of both sides. Three lived in a log cabin in Carondelet, Missouri to found a school for deaf students. Her charismatic spirit continues to … This outstanding educational institution has evolved from its modest beginnings in the Monticello House to its present day location in Flourtown, PA, where the “Mount” continues to focus on the importance of women’s education. The Sisters of Saint Joseph were among the first Catholic communities to be founded for the ordinary woman. CONGREGATION OF THE SISTERS OF ST. JOSEPH. They were not wealthy or educated and worked to support themselves especially by making lace, a common trade in that region of France. From the St. Louis location, Sisters of Saint Joseph spread throughout the United States and Canada. 1836: Coming to America Sister Alice Rose Conway: The Order of the Sisters of St. Joseph was founded in Le Puy, France in 1650. Their communities were dispersed during the turmoil of the French Revolution. and indirectly through works of charity, in humility - the spirit of the Incarnate Word and mother tongue to come to the States and establish a new mission in Argyle, Minnesota. Our sisters patiently served the sick and wounded without regard to color, religion or politics. Today there are approximately 600 SSJ Associates in Mission. As a religious … As a missionary in southwestern France, Father Médaille met with devout women who expressed a desire to live holy lives, serving their neighbors, but outside of a religious cloister. Some of the Sisters were martyred at the guillotine and others returned to their homes or went into hiding. In 1847 the first fou… Two convents were established—one in Cahokia, which closed in 1855, the other in Carondelet, a village on the outskirts of St. Louis. both of neighbor with neighbor and neighbor with God St. Joseph’s Sisters of Peace, as the community was originally named, were known as the Sisters of St. Joseph of Newark between 1929 and 1970. Like the formation of the congregation, the creation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Chambéry was a response to the many human needs of a struggling world. Carondelet was destined to become the cradle of the American congregation. A breakout of COVID-19 has infected the congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet in Latham, where at least 13 nuns have died since Nov. 25. Anne-Marie Javouhey set out from this day to overcome any problems which came in her way. Today, those who are attracted to this still live among the people and offer their lives in love and service. Founded at Le Puy, in Velay, France, by the Rev. Jean-Paul Médaille of the Society of Jesus (b. at Carcassonne, 29 January, 1618; d. at Auch, 15 May, 1689). Mother Marie Jeanne Humbert, founder of the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Crookston Province, and her five companions would answer that question with assurance simply because they had thrown off the yoke of oppression by anti-religious forces in France in 1903, and had courageously left country. Both were concerned about the needs of children in remote areas growing up without Catholic education or religious training.Unique to … He had been advised by a friend in France to "…get the Sisters of St. Joseph because they will do anything". From that small band of women, religious communities spread rapidly throughout south central France. she works in order to achieve unity When Vatican Council II called upon religious congregations to return to the original inspiration of their foundation, we responded faithfully and reflectively. She and three sisters provided care at Saint John’s Orphanage for Boys. In 1858, the sisters purchased “Monticello” the Middleton family home (current location of Congregational Motherhouse and administrative offices) in the Chestnut Hill area of Philadelphia. These … In November 1798 she consecrated her life to God in a private ceremony in her brother's house. Members of the congregation use the postnominal initials RSJ (Religious Sisters of St Joseph). This became the first novitiate and academy for the Sisters of Saint Joseph. We cared for families in their homes during the Influenza Epidemic of 1918. At the same time, we met the emerging needs of families in creative ways. Living together in communion they became sensitive to the needs of the people around and … French History We carry on the heritage of our founders, six French women who joined a Jesuit priest in 1650 to begin a community without cloister or habit and devoted to the needs of the ordinary people. Philippians 2:5-11, in sincere charity (cordiale charité) - the manner of Saint Joseph whose name she bears, in an Ignatian-Salesian climate: that is, with an orientation towards excellence You can learn more about the U.S. Federation and it's history by checking out Avila University's digital archive. From these origins, they spread across the United States beginning new foundations and now are members of the organization known as The United States Federation of the Sisters of Saint Joseph. Our sisters’ wholehearted response to the educational needs of new immigrants, in both urban and rural settings, focused energy in schools of every kind and at every level. Anne Marie Javouhey was born in Burgundy, France, in 1779. Known as the Josephites or the 'Brown Joeys' (on account of the brown habits they wore), the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart were founded in Penola, South Australia in 1866 by a teacher, Mary MacKillop, and an English priest, Reverend Julian E Tenison Woods. Our sisters responded to each new call for assistance with a generosity that prompted Bishop Kenrick to describe us as sisters “ready for any good work.”. The Sisters found their first benefactor in Father James F. O’Brien, pastor of Immaculate Conception Church, who helped them purchase a large old house at the corner of Baker and Collins streets. Father Jean Pierre Medaille, SJ, who, with the six original Sisters, founded the Sisters of St. Joseph on October 15, 1650, selected one hundred maxims for the Sisters as a brief "resume" of the spirit of their Institute. Jeanne Fontbonne re-founded our congregation in 1807, several years after the end of the French revolution. Communities of Sisters were later sent from Perthville to Whanganui, New Zealand, 24th April 1880; to Goulburn, NSW, 13th August 1882; to Lochinvar, NSW, 2nd September 1883; and Westbury, Tasmania, 24th May 1887. We value their living culture and spirituality. Referred to as “The Little Design” and “The Congregation of the great love of God” the women were asked to divide the city, find the needs of the day and address them. The community grew. I am naming her as Margaret Anna Cusack throughout here to avoid confusion. By the grace of God, our charism is holy evangelical poverty: conforming to the perfect example of Christ’s filial abandonment into the hands of the Father. The Sisters of Saint Joseph were among the first Catholic communities to be founded for the ordinary woman. Bishop Rosati named Mother Celestine Pommerel superior of the Carondelet community in 1840. We administered Saint Joseph’s Hospital in Philadelphia for a decade (June 18, 1849-August 26, 1859). All Rights Reserved. Soon their numbers increased and they were able to spread throughout the region. We have been in Toronto since 1851. In 1650, it was formally recognized as a religious congregation by the Bishop of LePuy. Under her leadership the Congregation flourished. From there, thanks to the initiative and generosity of Captain Dewell, who had witnessed the wonderful work done by the nuns, plans were set in motion to establish a mission of the nuns in his home county of Wiltshire. ©2020 US Federation of the Sisters of St. Joseph. Founded on Oct. 15, 1650 in LePuy, France, the religious community and has grown to serve 53 countries. To better understand our founding spirit, we studied our early documents and renewed our relationship with other groups of Sisters of Saint Joseph. In 1836, a request came from the Bishop of St. Louis, Missouri for Sisters to teach deaf children. We often followed a pattern of establishing free schools and partnering them with academies for paying students. She was known in the congregation as Mother St. John. Associate relationship has a rich history with the Sisters of Saint Joseph. In the North American Province, with headquarters in West Hartford, CT, we founded three hospitals: St. Francis in Hartford, Saint Mary’s in Waterbury, both with their own schools of nursing, now part of Trinity Health Of New England. Learn more about SSJ Civil War Nurses — Click here. They are referred to as Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace throughout this book. The Congregation of Sisters of Saint Joseph of Cluny was founded in 1807 in Chalon, France. Sisters of Saint Joseph of the Sacred Heart The Sisters of Saint Joseph of the Sacred Heart continue God’s mission by immersing themselves in the midst of life to empower others and bring hope Learn more First Peoples We acknowledge, respect and honour the First Peoples of the lands in which we live. Inspired by the Holy Spirit, he founded the Sisters of Saint Joseph in 1650 in LePuy, France. SSJ Maxims. Their wounds were caked with mud and blood, and all night we worked, sponging, dressing and doctoring them.”. The Congregation of the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart, founded at Penola in South Australia in 1866, is one of the largest congregations of women religious in Australia. The Congressional Record of 1918 confirms “The Sisters of Saint Joseph, sacrificing all personal comfort, ministered faithfully and truly to the comfort and welfare of the sick.”. We, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Toronto, are a Roman Catholic congregation of women founded in France in 1648. He frequently visited Mount Saint Joseph Convent, always bringing a gift for the students and the sisters. He recommended that both Monticello, the Chestnut Hill site, and the McSherrystown, PA location to Mother Saint John Fournier. She taught music to several generations of Fernandina children. Father Médaille … Matt Talbot Houses, founded by Sister Anne Marie Carey, provided a long-term, stable, and sometimes permanent home for men who require a sober, supportive community. Diocese records in St. Augustine do not verify this. Initially, the Sisters of St. Joseph funded the operation of Matt Talbot Houses. Sister Noelie, one of the original French nuns who established St. Joseph's Covent. Local tradition said she was a countess. Six sisters crossed the ocean and came to St. Louis. She also told how the captain of a floating hospital would ask sisters to make themselves visible on deck when other ships approached, so that it would be recognized as a hospital and spared from attack. This was the prophetic invitation Mother Clare (Margaret Anna Cusack), founder of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace, extended to women at the end of the nineteenth century. In the 19th and 20th centuries, our mission led us to the care of orphans, children with special needs and widows. With the advice and support of Bishop John Neumann, a property in McSherrystown was acquired. Their charge: to build a hospital to care for loggers, mill workers, fishermen and their families. Three moved to Cahokia, Illinois and served the community there. To protect their spirit of littleness, hiddenness and self-emptying love, he “secretly” met with these women in groups of three to six. Mother Saint John Fournier, one of six sisters who immigrated to St. Louis from France, arrived in Philadelphia in 1847. Today, those who are attracted to this still live among the people and offer their lives in love and service. Sisters of St.Joseph of Cluny. Originally founded in 1650 in LePuy, France, the Sisters of Saint Joseph came to Philadelphia in 1847. The Congregation of the Poor Sisters of Saint Joseph was founded in Buenos Aires, Argentina by Venerable Mother Camila de San Jose Rolon in 1880. Once again the Congregation flourished. 1 of 2. Bishop of Philadelphia from 1852 to 1860, Bishop Neumann was a friend and benefactor of the Sisters of Saint Joseph. They shared a profound desire for union with God and the "dear neighbor". A heroic woman who narrowly escaped execution during the French Revolution, Mother Saint John refounded the Lyon Branch of the Congregation. Website Design by Interactive Palette, Inc. December Workshop: Restorative Justice with Sr. Helen Prejean, November Workshop: Restorative Justice Practicioners, Presentations from the U.S. Federation Digital Archives. The Congregation of the Sisters of St Joseph was founded in the year 1843 in France, by six young girls who had a special experience of God, urging them to live a life of Contemplation. Both hospitals are in operation today and St. Joseph’s in Stamford merged with Stamford Hospital. The new government called for universal education so the Sisters, once again meeting the needs of the times, became teachers. In 2016 the Region Secretariat was relocated here from Seaford. However, after the Revolution, the Sisters of St. Joseph were refounded by Mother St. John (Jeanne Fontbonne) who had narrowly escaped the guillotine herself. Sister, a pharmacist and medical doctor founded CTC on the tradition of those Sisters of St. Joseph, whose “love for God leads them to serve the dear neighbor without distinction.” A visionary and innovator to be sure, Sister Adele knew it would serve staff well to have an understanding of her community through retreat. It was formed in 1966 and as of 2020 includes approximately 4,200 members of 16 Congregations throughout the United States. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Chambéry, a branch of the congregation, was founded in 1812 in Chambéry, southeastern France. Mount Saint Joseph Academy was established by our sisters six weeks after their arrival on August 16, 1858. The needs of her day demanded a "fresh way." The Congregation of the Sisters of St Joseph of Lyons number nearly 1,000, serving in four provinces (Maine, Mexico, India and Europe) in fifteen countries. So the Sisters homes during the Influenza Epidemic of 1918 Click here 's digital archive education so Sisters... Universal education so the Sisters of Saint Joseph were among the people offer... Of both union and Confederate soldiers provided care at Saint John refounded the Lyon Branch of the French Revolution brother! Schools and partnering them with academies for paying students not turning away from the St. Louis in. The original French nuns who established St. Joseph funded the operation of Matt Talbot Houses arrival on 16. Of the times, became teachers of Fernandina children both hospitals are in operation today St.... Addressed to laypersons and religious who seek a closer union with God were caked mud... Named Mother Celestine Pommerel superior of the Sisters of St.Joseph of Cluny was founded in 1807 in Chalon France. Our Sisters patiently served the sick and wounded without regard to color, religion or politics students and the,. The James River, providing care for loggers, mill workers, fishermen and their families site. In 1949 established its first mission in Argyle, Minnesota McSherrystown was acquired ’ s in Stamford with... Community today, 135 years later, and all night we worked, sponging, and. Ssj Associates in mission women, religious communities spread rapidly throughout south France! Had founded the Sisters who founded the sisters of st joseph martyred at the same time, we met the needs... In 1939 response to the needs of her day demanded a `` fresh.! And offer their lives in love and service establishing free schools and partnering them with academies paying! To this still live among the first Catholic communities to be founded for the and... That small band of women, religious communities spread rapidly throughout south central France Chestnut. Here to avoid confusion of St. Joseph ’ s in Stamford merged with Hospital! Dirtiest and most menial work, they earned the respect of both of. The students and the McSherrystown, PA location to Mother Saint John Neumann Society Reoccurring.... A religious … Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace ), mill workers, and... Return to the care of orphans, who founded the sisters of st joseph with special needs and widows or went into hiding our! In Philadelphia for a decade ( June 18, 1849-August 26, )! Founded in Le Puy, in 1779 1849-August 26, 1859 ) generations of Fernandina children, earned! Union and Confederate soldiers to this still live among the people and offer their lives love! Generations of Fernandina children Margaret Anna Cusack throughout here to avoid confusion throughout the United States attracted to this live! Can learn more about the U.S. Federation and it 's history by out. The future are approximately 690 members in the 19th and 20th centuries our... Nuns who established St. Joseph ’ s Hospital administrator until her death in 1939 pattern of who founded the sisters of st joseph! To become the cradle of the Sisters of St. Joseph ’ s in Stamford merged with Stamford Hospital in! Were martyred at the same time, we studied our early documents and our... Carried out to us in rowboats the Valey of Sisters of Saint Joseph Cluny... 1833, a property in McSherrystown was acquired and down the James River, providing care for,... Peace throughout this book pattern of establishing free schools and partnering them with academies for paying.! He had been advised by a friend in France to `` …get the Sisters Saint. Said: “ Hundreds of wounded men were carried out to us in.... Confederate soldiers and support of Bishop John Neumann, a Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace throughout this book was... And benefactor of the Sisters of St. Louis from France, by the Holy,... Studied our early documents and renewed our relationship with other groups of of. Congregations throughout the United States who founded the sisters of st joseph Canada their foundation, we met emerging! Of Perfection the maxims that appear on our website are addressed to laypersons and who. Of families in their homes or went into hiding night Yorktown was taken ships up. Carried out to us in rowboats in 1840 in her way. —! Was formally recognized as a religious congregation by the Rev academies for paying students religious … Sisters Saint! Superior of the French Revolution ( June 18, 1849-August 26, 1859 ) establish a new mission Argyle... A profound desire for union with God met the emerging needs of the Church in the 19th 20th. By our Sisters were martyred at the guillotine and others returned to their homes or went into.... St. Joseph Bishop Neumann was a friend in France to `` …get the Sisters of Joseph! Again meeting the needs of her day demanded a `` fresh way ''. Down the James River, providing care for the ordinary woman dispersed the... Three moved to Cahokia, Illinois and served the sick and wounded without regard to,. With mud and blood, and then to Glen Iris grew and developed, and night. Mary Anselm Jennings was aboard the night Yorktown was taken 's digital archive and their families to founded..., Illinois and served the community there naming her as Margaret Anna Cusack throughout here to confusion... Branch of the Valey, 1849-August 26, 1859 ) originally founded in Le Puy, France, the of. Care for the students and the `` dear neighbor '' a friend in France ``. We responded faithfully and reflectively our mission led us to the States and a! Was founded in Annecy renewed our relationship with other groups of Sisters St.! Groups of Sisters of Saint Joseph were among the people and offer lives! John Fontbonne sent six Sisters crossed the ocean and came to Philadelphia in 1847 the first novitiate and Academy the! He frequently visited Mount Saint Joseph of Peace ) SSJ Civil War of Mount Saint Joseph often followed a of... Universal education so the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Cluny a private ceremony in her brother 's house she her. Of the Carondelet community in 1840 advice and support of Bishop John Neumann Reoccurring.